Most wakeboarders expect to receive a little friendly competition and perhaps some snide remarks from their friends regarding their wakeboarding skills. Even if you are a really great wakeboarder, it can be difficult to come up with moves that will really impress your friends and give them newfound respect for your dexterity and talent. If you are getting a little tired of the constant arguments about who is the best, you need to have a few wakeboard tricks up your sleeve that can be used at a moment’s notice to establish your position as The Alpha Wakeboarder.
All joking aside, learning one or two impressive tricks can be beneficial in a great deal of situations, including winning a bet against your buddies, impressing your girlfriend, and even seeing if you have what it takes to go pro with your skills.
Choosing the Right Trick
If you are going to take the time to learn a wakeboard trick, it is a good idea to come up with one that is universally fun and capable of winning you some serious respect. One such trick is the Heel Side Backroll. This is an intermediate-level trick that can get you familiar with how inverts work. Here are the individual steps:
- Begin on the outside of the wake (but not too far out)
- Enter the wake while making sure you are edging all the way through in order to get the right amount of lift
- As you leave the wake, shift the bulk of your weight to your back foot while keeping the handle tucked in close to your hips with both hands
- For normal stance, start to look over your left shoulder while rotating your body in the same direction. For goofy stance, look over your right shoulder and rotate in the same direction.
- Your body will begin to swing into an upside-down position, and it is important to try and spot your ideal landing while you are in this position
- Prepare for a smooth landing by softening your knees and preparing for impact
It is important to note that safety is of paramount importance when it comes to learning new tricks on your wakeboard. Never try a new trick until you have mastered several easier tricks and have naturally worked your way up to more difficult tricks.
If you want to make it easier than ever to practice new wakeboard tricks, Big Air offers attractive and sturdy wake towers that are designed to give you a steady, rigid pull. Check out our impressive selection to find a wakeboard tower that will look amazing on your boat.